Score: Cape Breton CAPERS 6, Saint Mary's Huskies 0
Records: Cape Breton 1-0-0 , Saint Mary's 0-1-0
Location: CBHRC , Sydney, NS
Sydney, NS – 4th Year forward Keona Simmonds (Brampton, ON) scored the first two goals of the game and assisted on a third as the CAPERS led from start to finish is a dominating opening game in AUS Women's soccer action. Also, scoring for the CAPERS were Alyssa Armstong (St. John's, NFLD), Ciera Disipio (Ottawa, ON), Chantal Caron (Ottawa, ON) and Rachel Leck (Pickering, ON). Goalkeepers Lysianne Trottier (Barrie, ON) and Rachel Yerxa (Mississauga, ON) didn't face any shots in splitting the clean sheet. SMU Keeper Ashley Blank faced a heavy barrage of shot throughout the game and faced 20 shots in the loss.
The game was all but decided after Simmonds scored her second goal of the game as the CAPERS fed off the hot early start and kept the pressure on the Huskies.
- 4th-Year CAPER Simmonds led the way with 3 points (2g, 1a)
- 4th - Year CAPER Simmonds also led the way with 2 goals
- 5 CAPER players tied for the lead in assists with 1 (Armstrong, DiSipio, Caron, Leck and Simmonds)
- CAPERS Simmonds led the game with 5 shots -
-Huskies Keeper Ashley Blank led the game with 14 saves
News & Notes
- This was the first game of the AUS season for both teams,
- The CAPERS finished first in the 2016 AUS regular season but suffered a semi-final loss in the playoffs.
- The Huskies failed to make the playoffs in 2016
- This was the debut regular season game for new Huskies Head Coach Marisa Colzie
CBU will next travel to UNB to face UNB on September 16th at 1pm. SMU will continue to face St. Francis Xavier Saturday, Sept. 10th at 1pm.